Halep Wins 2019 Wimbledon Title





Simona Halep stunned the World to become the first Romanian ever to win Wimbledon title on Saturday. She beat Serena Williams in the Final by 6-2 6-2 thereby dashing the American's hope for the record 24th Grand Slam singles title in Wimbledon 2019.

Halep, 27, broke the Williams serve in the opening game which got her 4-0 lead. She maintained her pace throughout and refused to take a backward step, Williams couldn't meet up.




Williams had won nine of her previous 10 matches against Halep. On the court after picking up the runners-up salver for the second year running (She lost to a similarly inspired Angelique Kerber last year), She said,


“She played out of her mind, It was a little bit a deer in headlights for me. Whenever a player plays like that you just have to take your hat off.”


Halep won French Open in 2018 and became the first Romanian to reach the Wimbledon final. Ilie Nastase finished as a runner-up twice, in 1972 and 1976.



“It’s something very special and I’ll never forget this day. It was my mum’s dream when I was about 10. The day came,” former world number one Halep said.
“Well I had nerves, my stomach wasn’t well before. But I knew there was no time for emotions so I just came out on court to do my best.”



Comments